Frivolous fingers -- January 2006

I've been looking for a fingerless gloves pattern pretty much since I started knitting, and knew when I saw it that this was it. I'm all about the glove-wearing when it's cold, but I also end up taking them off every five minutes to fiddle around in my bag for my tube pass, or to find a tissue or some lipgloss or to change the next song on my iPod. So ones which were warm but which left my fingertips free were precisely what I needed. These gloves make me smile -- they're completely ridiculous, but also very luxurious to wear (silk, mohair and cashmere).

The pattern was knit flat (the base and palm knit flat, then each thumb/finger knit flat as well and then seamed before the next one is knitted), so had rather less knitting and significantly more faffy sewing than I would prefer. But I've also got enough yarn left to make a whole 'nother pair, so one day I might re-visit the gloves and work out a way of knitting them in the round.

The best thing about the design is the mix of yarns -- I would never have considered putting these two together before, but they work fabulously. I wonder if there is a mistake in the yarns asked for, though -- the pattern suggests Kid Silk Haze (fine), and then the mysterious 'RYC Cashmino DK'. I dutifully went off to John Lewis, only to be met with a blank stare when I asked for the latter. A google search also yields no results, so I think it's an error. But if anyone reading this has ever heard of that yarn, do let me know. In the end I guess-chose a yarn which I hoped would best fit, and it worked beautifully.

Details: 'Frivolous fingers' from hats gloves scarves by Louisa Harding, knitted in Rowan Kid Silk Haze and RYC Cashsoft 4 ply on 4mm bamboo circular needles.

Labels: , , ,